Monday, December 5, 2016

Dark Chocolate and Peppermint Shortbread Fingers

Two Christmases ago, my husband's entire family came to visit from the Midwest.  My mother- and father-in-law arrived Christmas Eve, and my sister-in-law and her family arrived late Christmas evening.  Rather than a big family meal just as everyone was arriving, I opted to serve soup and salad for supper with a big plate of Christmas cookies for dessert.  I always make sugar cookies at Christmas, along with another secret family favorite, but I wanted a third type of cookie on my platter.  Something with chocolate, to round out the flavors I already had going on.  And something simple since cooking (and planning) for so many people was bound to make my head spin.  I channeled my inner Sandra Lee and opted for semi-homemade!  I'm not sure how I came up with this combination, but it was a real winner and something I'll make again and again!

1 package Walkers shortbread fingers
12 ounces dark chocolate
peppermint sprinkles, or finely chopped candy canes

Heat a small sauce pan of water to simmering.  Place a shallow bowl over the pan, ensuring that the bowl is not submerged in the water.  Melt the chocolate, stirring constantly until smooth.

Working quickly, dip the shortbread into the chocolate so that half is covered.  Allow excess to drip off.  Place the shortbread on a wire rack placed inside a baking sheet, and sprinkle with peppermint before the chocolate cools and hardens.

Allow to cool completely before serving.

1 comment:

  1. Love these cookies! Pinned to make this week. I'm still making cookies even though Christmas is over!! haha!

    ReplyDelete